4.23.2010

Annoyances

Folks that romanticize Japan are some of the folks that I get annoyed at the most.
Also, in addition:

-Folks that say they'd love to live in Japan...when they really mean they'd love to live in Tokyo / Kyoto / Osaka.
-Folks that swear they've experienced all the culture, people, and pleasures of Japan when Tokyo is the only city they've been to.
-Those same folks that say "I miss it there" and "I remember doing that" or "I'm due for a return trip soon"...as if they've been there and done it all...fool you only went to Japan for 5 days.
-People that diss the JET Program, thinking they can find a better (and they won't ever admit it, but easier) way to move to Japan. Alright, I say to them, but you'd wish you had our benefits.
-日本人になりたいfolks. Particularly a lot of the folks who go and adopt Japanese names even though they are clearly of non-Japanese decent. Granted, I'm good friends with a couple, hence why I said "a lot of the folks who..."
-Folks that think Japan is everything they loved in the manga, anime, and games that they've played.

Japan is not the Mecca of anything, folks. It's a country just like the one you call home.
I'll never say I'm completely in love with Japan...and a huge reason is because I miss Californian Mexican food. =P
(and drivers that actually step on the gas)

1 comment:

Jason Yu said...

I totally agree with your post. Honestly, I feel that Japan gets a bad rap because of all the people that think they know "all about Japan" or think they know the language. Japan is one of the hardest languages to know (along with English and Chinese) so learning a couple of catch phrases from Naruto doesn't make these Japan-fans so-called experts...

I lived in Japan for seven years and I loved it there. However, I chose to move to Korea partly because the foreigners in this country are more serious about learning Korean and its culture. With that being said, however, for the people, such as yourself, that do take Japanese culture and its language seriously, I must give you guys props!